Ok so I made this on Sunday with the green tea cupcakes so naturally the frosting was also green tea flavoured. Obviously you can simply not add matcha green tea powder. The beauty about this frosting is that it’s less sweet and less heavy than normal frosting because there’s less sugar and butter. A bulk of the frosting actually consists of milk and flour which gives it a light and fluffy feel. Perfect for people like me who find buttercream frosting too rich.
What you’ll need for this frosting:
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar (I used caster sugar)
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp matcha green tea powder (optional)
Makes enough frosting to ice 24 cupcakes
- Mix flour and milk in a cold pot until flour dissolved
- Place pot over low-med heat, whisking constantly until it bubbles and forms a thick gooey paste
- Take off heat and allow to cool COMPLETELY (I cannot stress this enough)
- In the meantime, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 mins)
- Beat in cooled paste mixture until it has a consistency of whipped cream
You can freeze this frosting and just allow to come back to room temperature before piping.
This is the finish product: