I stole this from Chew Out Loud but made a few amendments mainly because I’m lazy and didn’t want to wait 4 hours for the dough to proof twice. Since I changed quite a number of ingredients and steps, I’ve re-written the recipe but the original one would still be amazing.
What you’ll need for the scrolls:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 125 g butter
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tspn yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg + 2 more egg yolks
- 1 tspn salt
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
What you need for the cinnamon filling:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tspn salt
Mix together the three filling ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
- Heat milk and butter in microwave or saucepan
- Mix water, yeast, sugar, egg, yolks at low speed until mixed through.
- Add salt, warm milk mixture, 1 cup plain flour and 1 cup wholemeal flour. Mix at medium until blended, about 1 minute.
- Switch to dough hook, add remaining cup plain flour and remaining cup wholemeal flour, and knead at medium until dough is smooth and clears sides of bowl, adding 1 tbsp flour at a time (up to 1/4 cup), only as needed (I added about 2 tablespoons). Do not add too much; just until dough comes together and is smooth and soft.
- Knead 10 minutes. Shape dough into a ball and place in lightly oiled large bowl, cover with a tea towel and place in warm place until doubled in size (about an hour for me). I know you can’t tell the dough has doubled in size since I wasn’t smart enough to take the first photo in the bowl but just trust me 🙂
- Lightly flour benchtop and punch down the dough, rolling into a rectangle
- Sprinkle cinnamon mixture evenly over the dough, leaving a centimetre border at the long edge (right edge in my photo)
- Roll the dough, starting with the long edge not with the cm gap (left hand side of the above photo, rolling towards the right), moisten far edge with water and seal the roll well
- Cut roll into 12 equal pieces using sharp knife, I wet the knife slightly after each cut to make it easier to cut the next roll
- Place rolls evenly in greased baking dish/pan. Cover with a tea towel and place in warm place for 30 mins – 45 mins (you can leave it there for up to 2 hours)
- Preheat oven to 165oC, baking cinnamon scrolls in for 20 minutes
What you need for the icing: (optional)
- 250g tub cream cheese, softened but cool
- 1 tsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tspn good vanilla extract
- pinch fine salt
Combine all frosting ingredients minus icing sugar (I used a whisk + bowl). Slowly add in icing sugar. I also added quite a lot of water because I was too lazy to get out my piping bag and I wanted the frosting runny enough for me to spoon over the scroll with a spoon. Add water slowly until you get the consistency you want. I would have added about half to 3/4 cup of water.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. I need to stress that my frosting was not very sweet at all, you could still taste the cheesyness of the cream cheese. Add icing sugar to your taste.
Allow the scrolls to cool a little out of the oven before you put the frosting on.